Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Praying Life by Paul E. Miller

A Praying Life is probably the most accessible book I've ever read on prayer. Miller's writing style is easy to understand and his message is straightforward. Miller is transparent about the mystery of prayer -- which is comforting because it is indeed a great mystery, and he is also candid about what makes praying difficult.

I just finished this book yesterday, but as I flip back through it I am struck by how many profound statements I have underlined. Miller offers many nuggets of wisdom and practical applications. I have picked out a few to share, but I sincerely hope that you will take the time to read this book. (Here is the link for the book on Amazon).

Notable Quotes:
  • "Learning to pray doesn't offer us a less busy life; it offers us a less busy heart." p.25
  • "If you are not praying, then you are quietly confident that time, money, and talent are all you need in life." p.49
  • "The very thing we are afraid of, our brokenness, is the door to our Father's heart." p.99
  • "Until we become convinced that we can't change our child's heart, we will not take prayer seriously." p. 169
  • "If we pursue joy directly, it slips from our grasp. But if we begin with Jesus and learn to love, we end up with joy." p.215

Practical Suggestion:
  • Use notecards to pray for family, friends or specific needs. Find verses to pray over these people or issues, and write them on their respective card.
So if you've read this book, I would love to know what you thought. What was the biggest takeaway for you? What really challenged you about this book? Have you begun to put anything Miller suggested into practice? Did you disagree with Miller on anything? I definitely did.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! You didn't even mention that you were THINKING about doing this when I was with you (you big silly!). I'm so proud of you! What a gift it will be to read and "discuss" all the great literature that is so blessedly and freely available to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I saw you just last week, but I wasn't thinking of this then. I just decided over the weekend that this would be a good idea. I like the idea of keeping Spur purely devotional so this allows me to talk about books with abandon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thrilled to read this "review". Can you believe that this is the very title Grace Andringa had our bible study looking and considering for our next study, beginning next week. Gotta love it! I'm sold! I forwarded this Blog entry to our group. Thank you Kristie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad this was useful and timely, Pam. Anxious to hear if your group has decided to use it.

    ReplyDelete